This building paper model is from Heritage. This Barn, which this year celebrates its 500th anniversary, was part of the farmyard of Headstone Manor, standing just outside the moat which surrounds the Manor House.
Headstone Manor was a working farm, and consequently was surrounded by many ancient farm buildings. By the early 20th century, the majority of these buildings had fallen into a state of disrepair and were eventually destroyed. Today, only two remain, and by far the most impressive is the farm building now known as the Tithe Barn.
Built in 1506 on the orders of the then Archbishop of Canterbury, the Grade II* listed Tithe Barn has a framework made entirely from English Oak, measuring an impressive 43 metres long and nine metres high. Originally, the barn would have been mainly used by the tenant farmer of Headstone to store grains and stable horses, with a few bays reserved for the use of the Archbishop. Despite its name, it was never used to store tithes.
By the 1920s the condition of the barn was very poor. It was not until a major restoration project carried out by the London Borough of Harrow in the 1970s that the Tithe Barn was bought back to its former state of glory. The Tithe Barn was converted to provide the facilities needed for an active museum. The resulting rich brown weather-boarded building with ancient tiled roof formed the first usable building of Harrow Museum when it opened in 1986. Today the Tithe Barn is the centre of many of Harrow Museum activities.