This gundam paper model is a SD ORB-01 Shiranui Akatsuki Gundam space pack, a Mobile Suit in the series Gundam SEED Destiny, piloted by Mu La Flaga, created by Black Gentle, and shared by Kevin Chapman. There is another version at the site: ORB-01 Akatsuki Gundam Papercraft.
Before his death, fearing that the Orb Union will face another war, Uzumi Nara Athha commissioned the creation of the ORB-01 Akatsuki Gundam. Its existence remained a secret as per Uzumi's orders, only to be used as the nation's last line of defense, or if Cagalli is in dire need of additional power.
The Akatsuki Gundam is first piloted by Cagalli Yula Athha. Using the Oowashi pack, she piloted this mobile suit to defend Orb against a ZAFT attack in CE 74, after being informed of its existence by Ledonir Kisaka. Cagalli assumes command of the Orb military, and uses the Akatsuki Gundam to try and defend Orb against ZAFT's forces, but was soon confronted by ZAFT's top ace, ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam pilot Shinn Asuka. While Shinn's beam attacks only backfire, he easily outperforms her by using melee attacks, giving minor damage to the gold mobile suit. When the battle headed to space, the Akatsuki Gundam is repaired and with Cagalli's orders, she lent to Mu La Flaga, while Cagalli remained behind in Orb to take charge of her country. While the mobile suit is in his possession, La Flaga used the Shiranui pack for the remaining moments of the war.
While the Archangel is docked at the lunar city of Copernicus, Mu La Flaga uses the Oowashi Akatsuki to intervene in the defense of several crew members while they are trying to rescue Meer Campbell. Despite Akatsuki Gundam's presence, Meer is hit by a bullet intended for Lacus Clyne and is killed.
The Akatsuki Gundam plays a major role in ending the Second Bloody Valentine War by defending the Archangel and the Eternal, as well as aiding in the destruction of the Requiem superweapon.
When not using any of its backpacks, the Akatsuki Gundamis equipped with a Type 73J2 prototype twin beam saber for close combat, the standard head-mounted CIWS, a arm-mounted shield for defense and a Type 72D5 "Hyakurai" beam rifle, comparable to other models of beam rifles. The beam naginata is capable of being mounted as a bayonet on the beam rifle.
It appears to be derived from the GAT-X105 Strike Gundam, which Orb engineers had copious opportunity to study, with additional firepower and uses a Striker Pack-inspired support system.
Perhaps its most remarkable feature is its gold frame, known as the Yata-no-Kagami. In reality, the gold plating of the mobile suit is actually made up of millions of mirrors with a special beam-deflecting coating, making the mobile suit virtually impervious to beam attacks. Despite this, its vulnerability to melee and physical weapons remained equal to that of any other mobile suit.
Should it needed to be brought in space, the Akatsuki Gundam can be equipped with the "Shiranui" backpack, which is equipped with a system similar to the DRAGOON system; the Shiranui contains seven remote beam turrets, which each mount a beam cannon as well as beam shield emitters that can provide full defense in a limited area, of around 1-2 ships' size. [Source: wikia]
- Guided Mobile Beam Turret System
- M531R remote control unit
- Mounted on the "Shiranui" Space Pack are seven remote weapons each equipped with a beam cannon, two beam guns and a beam shield emitter.
- Model-71 defense shield
- MSM5D 12.5mm CIWS
- A head-mounted weapon system designed for missile interception and suppressive fire.
- Type-72D5 "Hyakurai" Beam Rifle
- Type-73J2 Prototype Twin Beam Saber
- A double bladed beam saber similar to the sabers form when the Freedom combines its sabres.
- Type 73F modified high-energy beam cannon
- Two beam cannons mounted on the "Oowashi" Sky Pack
- Operating System
- The Akatsuki utilizes a customised version of the General Unilateral Neuro-link Dispersive Autonomic Maneuver operating system, the operating system used on the GAT-X series. This operating system was created by Kira Yamato when the Archangel landed to Orb after its defection from the Earth Alliance. He devised this system to make Natural pilots combat well using a mobile suit, making them fare well against Coordinator pilots.
- "Yata-no-Kagami" Anti-Beam Reflection System
- While mostly similar to other mobile suits, the Akatsuki Gundam nevertheless features a unique piece of technology. The entire body of the suit is covered with a specialized mirror coating called "Yata no Kagami", which is capable of deflecting beam fire or reflecting shots back to their source. Due to this coating, it is able to block beam weapons and is even able to block shots fired from a Positron Blaster Cannon. Despite this strength, the armor provides no protection against attacks from a beam saber, since Shinn Asuka was able to cut off one of the Akatsuki's arms with his beam boomerang.
In episode 50 of Gundam Seed Destiny, Mu also used Akatsuki's "Yata-no-Kagami" Anti-Beam Reflection to penetrate Requiem's Positron Deflector to destroy Requiem in order to prevent the destruction of Orb.
This Gundam papercraft requires the following colors of card paper:
- 17 Gold
- 2 White
- 3 Red
- 3 Gray
- 2 Silver
- 11 Black
You can download this gundam paper model here: SD ORB-01 Shiranui Akatsuki Gundam Free Paper Model Download