This paper model is a Kamikaze Human Torpedo "Kaiten", designed by Renova Model. The scale of the papercraft is 1:200. The Kaiten were manned torpedos and suicide craft, used by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) in the final stages of World War II.
Of the six different type classes created, only four were ever significant enough to be noted by the American technological missions into post-war Japan. This is a type 1 paper model, only the type 1, a one-person model with a 1,550 kg (3,400 lb) warhead, was used operationally. Over 300 were built, more than 100 of which were sent on suicide missions.
- Total weight: 8.3 t (9.1 short tons)
- Length: 14.75 m (48.4 ft)
- Diameter:: 1 m (3.3 ft)
- Warhead 1,550 kg (3,400 lb)
- Detonation mechanism: Contact, Manual electric fuze
- Engine: Type 93 torpedo engine. Wet heater Double action Reciprocating 2 cylinder 410 kW (550 hp)
- Propellant: Kerosene and oxygen
- Maximum range: 78 km (42 nmi)
- Cruising speed: 22 km/h (12 kn)
- Maximum speed: 56 km/h (30 kn)
- Maximum operating depth: 80 m (260 ft)
- Number built: approx. 330 produced
You can download the paper craft here: Renova Model - Kaiten Human Torpedo Free Paper Model Download