This paper model is a Phalanx CIWS, a close-in weapon system for defending against anti-ship missiles, the papercraft created by paper model japan. The scale of the paper model is in 1:40, and the finished model is 12cm tall.
The Phalanx CIWS was designed and manufactured by the General Dynamics Corporation, Pomona Division. Consisting of a radar-guided 20 mm (0.79 in) Gatling gun mounted on a swiveling base, the Phalanx is used by the United States Navy on every class of surface combat ship, by the United States Coast Guard aboard its Hamilton-class and Legend-class cutters and the navies of 16 allied nations.
A land based variant known as C-RAM has recently been deployed in a short range missile defense role, to counter incoming rockets and artillery fire.
Because of their distinctive barrel-shaped radome and their automated nature of operation, Phalanx CIWS units are sometimes nicknamed "R2-D2" after the famous droid from Star Wars, and in the Royal Navy as Daleks, after the aliens from Doctor Who. For more information please click here.
Specifications (Block 1A/B)
- Gun: 1× 20 mm (0.79 in) M61 Vulcan 6-barreled gatling cannon
- Height: 4.7 m (15 ft 5.0 in)
- Weight: 12,500 lb (5,700 kg), later models 13,600 lb (6,200 kg)
- Elevation −25° to +85°
- Muzzle velocity: 1,100 m/s (3,600 ft/s)
- Rate of fire: 4,500 rounds/minute
- Maximum burst size: 1000 rounds
- Ammunition capacity: 1,550 rounds
- Radar: Ku band
- 100% Kill distance: Classified
- Cost: $35 million
- AK-630, Russian CIWS
- Kashtan CIWS, Russian Gun-Missile CIWS
- Goalkeeper CIWS, Dutch CIWS
- Meroka CIWS, Spanish navy
- Barak 1, Israel. missile-based
- RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile, U.S. missile-based
- Type 730 CIWS, Chinese CIWS
You can download the papercraft model here: Phalanx CIWS Close-in Weapon System Free Paper Model Download