This ship paper model is the Office of Naval Research (ONR) Afloat Lab, created by paper toys website. The Office of Naval Research (ONR) has long supported the development of technologies that give U.S. Sailors and Marines increased tactical advantage in wartime, keep them out of harms way, and improve their performance and quality of life.
Several technologies deployed overseas during Operation Iraqi Freedom will be featured on the Afloat Lab during Fleet Week. Visit the Afloat Lab website for more information.
- The Silver Fox unmanned aerial vehicle was originally designed to track migrating whales for the Navy, but was rapidly modified to provide Marines with live views of the battlefield.
- Surf Zone Crawler Reconnaissance hunts for mines in rough surf and can be used on dry land. Last year the vehicles were used to search caves in Afghanistan.
- The Dragon Eye unmanned aerial vehicle is one of several featured technologies developed at the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab. Marines from the lab will demonstrate Dragon Eye and its ground-based cousin Dragon Runner, as well as a number of weapons and communications systems.
- CETUS II is an unmanned underwater vehicle designed to detect, and identify mines in shallow water.
- The Cooled Armor Vest is a personal heating and cooling device for aviators – and it's bulletproof. [Source: Navy Military Official Site]
You can download this papercraft model here: Office of Naval Research (ONR) Afloat Lab Free Ship Paper Model Download